1. Since I had two families for this service project, I noticed many themes through this experience. For the first family, I experienced the social penetration theory. We had to make sure we were all balancing our communication while talking to one another. Since this was the first time we all met, we didn't want to share too much information. For the second family I noticed how the gender roles play a common role in this family's relationship. I also noticed how the family was past the honeymoon stage and into the cultural shock stage. They were still not used to all of these differences after leaving their country.
2. This experience will help my future interpersonal interactions because I will have a better understanding of what other people are going through. Both of these families had a hard time transitioning because their lives changed completely. They both went from having a lot of money and material possessions to having nothing. This experience will also help me in the future because I will be able to understand other people's cultures and how their culture is so different than ours. I believe it is important to be accepting to other cultures and to treat others the way we want to be treated.
No comments:
Post a Comment